Sunday, March 25, 2012

April Challenge

I find that I am more accountable for what I do for exercise when I have to report to someone.  It motivates me to get moving!  A couple of years ago I participated in a 100 Mile Challenge and I loved it.  Something about it pushed me and made me want to go just a little bit farther.  That first challenge, I sprained my ankle shortly after joining and I had to really push the last few weeks to get to 100 miles – but I did it, and it felt really good.
The blog that I used to participate with stopped doing challenges so I hosted a couple through e-mail with friends that were interested and I enjoyed it.  It was a lot of work that way though so I stopped doing it. 

Recently, I tried another challenge where we were supposed to keep track of working out as well as other things and I found that it was too much for me to keep track of.
So, I decided to start another 100 Mile Challenge to motivate me to move and maybe to help get you up off the couch too.  This time I decided to make a blog so it is easy for everyone to participate!

Here’s how it works:

·         Each challenge runs for three months (April 1 to June 30)

      ·         Each mile you walk or run equals a mile in the challenge

      ·         Every 15 minutes you spend doing other exercise (biking, yoga, tennis, swimming, etc) counts as one mile in the challenge

      ·         There are NO half miles - push yourself to go that extra half mile or another seven minutes and count it as a mile. You can do it!

Each week, I will put out a call for miles and you will report in the comments how many miles you did that week.  (No, you don’t have to be a blogger to participate – you can comment anonymously, just make sure to leave your name!)   I will add your name and miles to the sidebar.  Be sure to check back to make sure that my math is correct!

Each week, I also hope to post some motivation - something to make us want to move, a favorite healthy recipe, etc. 

Let me know if you’re interested and plan on starting with us on April 1, 2012!

22 comments:

  1. Hi, Amanda! I stumbled on your blog from a You Capture link and then I clicked on the 100 miles in 3 months and I thought: YES! This is the motivation that I need right now to keep me outside and walking!! So - I'm in! I'd like to be able to link your site to mine every so often if that's okay? Drop me an email if you'd like and let me know (I looked for your email, so I didn't have to leave a really long comment!) Looking forward to April and the beginning of what I hope will be a really fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (ok, i'm in) I feel kind of dumb because I have finished exactly zero of these challenges the last year...but I really do want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I saw this from Julie P and I'm in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this from the Julie's and Cheryl. I want to do it too!-Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will join! Sounds like a great way to start the season!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to join! What a great way to get motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm so happy that so many of you are interested! I believe that I have added you all to the participant list. Feel free to invite friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to do this too!!! I need motivation. That is what I'm lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my friend timber posted this on facebook, looks like a great idea. I'm in!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a friend of Feathersky's and I want in too!
    My name is Taralyn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Count me in! This sounds so fun! I'll just start when I get back in town.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm game. I don't think I can compete with my friend Feathersky, she's pretty competitive, but I sure could use a challenge. So if we bike, we count 15 min as a mile, not actual mileage right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited that so many of you are interested! Welcome!

    Yes, Ali, fifteen minutes of biking is 1 mile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Feathersky = Timber
    Circus of 6 = Jamie
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good to know, Timber. Thank you! We have a couple of Jamie's...I hope I don't get confused!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Count me in (I am Timber's sister). Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I play too, Amanda? Which program do you use to calculate mileage for walks? I'm guessing it's on your phone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds fun! I run a lot so this will be added motivation. I am a friend of Julie A and I saw she mentioned it so I checked it out. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete