Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Hike That Almost Killed Me

I agreed to hike Mt. St. Helens in September with some friends and we did a training hike on Friday. This one is similar in elevation gain, but not as tough as the Mt. St. Helens hike. I have been walking, but not hiking and I was not prepared.

The rest of the group was way ahead of me and I really struggled up the trail. I had to stop often for a rest. I was having a hard time catching my breath. My muscles screamed with every step. I was embarrassed, honestly.

As I moved along, ever so slowly, I thought of this quote though. No matter how slow you go… I think it’s true…I don’t think it mattered that I was so slow. I was doing it. Because of time restraints, I didn’t make it to the top, but I went as far as I could. I saw some beautiful things. I realized how much work I have to do and how hard I need to work before September.

I could have come off that mountain defeated. I could come off and decide to not hike Mt. St. Helens with my friends. I came off wanting to do better though: eat better. drink more water. exercise more. push myself harder.

image

What have you done lately that has challenged you and your fitness goals?

1 comment:

  1. That view is beyond amazing. It makes it totally worthwhile to see something like that, doesn't it?!

    I haven't really been pushing myself beyond our regular exercise routine lately, but I have been trying to really focus and engage on every exercise. Sometimes we talk more than we work - going through the motions, ya know?? I've been trying to be more focused.

    I want to start hiking more - or at all. Stanton and his workout buddy trail run a couple of times a week and I So want to do it. I need to just work up the courage! (And figure out what to do with my kids). :)

    ReplyDelete